How people become members of Surrogacy UK
Both Surrogate and IPs need to complete a detailed application process before they can join Surrogacy UK. This involves:
- A DBS check (obtained through Disclosure Scotland)
- A face-to-face membership advisory session from Surrogacy UK; the person delivering this will have either been a surrogate or an IP in the past
- Semen analysis for the intended father including MAR.
In addition, prospective members must be in good health, and the following are required:
- A medical report from the GP of each prospective member. This should highlight any known health problems which would impact upon their eligibility for membership, and should include in the case of female IPs the reason why a surrogate pregnancy is necessary. The report should indicate whether further specialist medical assessment is recommended.
- Screening for transmissible infections including HIV, Hepatitis B and C, chlamydia, gonorrhoea, syphilis, and CMV
- Testing for Cystic Fibrosis carrier status (IPs and potential straight surrogates only).
These investigations may be carried out in primary care or in a specialist fertility clinic. IPs are aware that there may be a charge for these services; potential surrogates will have any fees refunded by Surrogacy UK.
What is the SUK Ethics Committee?
It’s a group of people with medical, legal, welfare and other relevant expertise that will ... >>